Thursday, January 26, 2006

Depression Part II

So, as we've seen everyone has their own experience with depression. And different ideas on how to deal with it. Prayer, support, medicine RX or natural, counseling. The only point I want to make is that we should deal with it. And not ignore it. Depression can range from mild to severe. And its effects can be the same. Temporary to very serious.

So I will share a little more for anyone who might want to know what I've found out or experienced. Again, it can be different for you.

First of all resources shared with us by our speaker. You'll have to check them out for yourselves.

Books:
Getting over the Blues by Leslie Vernick
New Light on Depression by David B. Biebel, Dmin. and Harold G Koenig, M.D.
Overcoming Depression by Neil T. Anderson
Honestly by Sheila Walsh (book about her personal battle with clinical depression).

Websites:

www.postpartum.net
National Institute of Mental Health www.nimhnih.gov
American Psychological Association www.apa.org
Depression and Bi-polar Support Alliance www.dbsalliance.org


Depression Screening Site www.depression-screening.org
Christian depressionpages www.Christian-depression.org
Women and depression www.psycom.net/depression.central.women

I haven't looked over these resources so you will have to search for yourselves & see if any of it is useful for you.


Here are some ways to help yourself and others.

Mild Depression:
Read God's word daily*
Face your feeling, don't deny them
Be as good to yourself as you are to other people
Know that you are not alone!*
Walking/exercise is a great way to ward off depression*
Realize that depression is an illness & your experience is real*
Volunteer
Keep a journal*
Provide structure & routine

How to avoid pitfalls:
Face the pain. Pain isn't your enemy; denial is!
Avoid dulling the pain with drugs & alcohol
Avoid "comfort" solutions- overeating, overspending, etc.
Don't insist that you can help yourself....GET HELP

Helping Others:
Don't judge
Don't say "snap out of it" You would if you could
Offer help, don't wait for them to ask
Reach out, so they won't be isolated
Listen!
Pray! With them and for them
Tell the truth, but speak it in grace and love.
Help the person trust God in all this.



And now for a little something personal. My thoughts on my experiences. To begin with, my stomach is in knots. I don't want to blab it all out but I do want to share what will help others.


My first memories of depression are from my early teen years. I had little self worth, lots of tears and was very isolated. Most of this was caused by my fathers outbursts; which I eventually learned how to deal with. During that time I often thought of suicide but knew it was wrong in God' eyes. And I was too scared to go threw with it.

So I wrote stupid poetry. And went to church every time the doors were open. Music was also good therapy.

Christmas was always a hard time for me. I had very mixed emotions. It was my favorite time of year family wise. Somehow we were able to get along and be nice to each others. But it was difficult socially. I felt like I didn't fit in. I wasn't loved. This was during high school.

The answer then, EAT & isolate. I've always been overweight and been a loner so to speak. Off & on in high school those habits seemed to escalate. However, as God is so good I always had friends who were there to support me. My mom was always willing to listen whenever I told her anything.

Again church & a few close friends were enough to do the trick.

During the MC years there was very little time to get the blues. But once we moved to Ohio I had a hard adjustment. You go from being surrounded by support & friends to being the New one in the bunch. Sam & I were very close those first few years. We did all kind of silly things to keep ourselves busy. But anytime I had a pity party some food joined me too.

Most of the above bouts were just up & down times that lasted a week or so at a time. Nothing major or long lasting.

Next came Florida. I pretty much did OK while we were there. Our first year we were extremely busy putting together our MC program and the second year I was pregnant with Justus so I pretty much slept all I could. This is where my biggest battle began. Sam and I were growing apart and I had a lot of anxiety. Something wasn't right. But I didn't know who to turn to.

When Sam lost his job we were both devastated. Talk about being depressed! I lost interest in everything but Justus. I was angry with Sam, constantly looked into the past with all the what ifs. etc. I wondered where God was, felt helpless. Every little thing was overwhelming. I felt guilty for my thoughts, ate everything in site & was constantly tired! Of course Justus was two weeks old so I guess some of the tiredness could be explained away.

This has lasted for almost two years. Many of the symptoms come & go. Not all of them hitting at the same time. But there is always something in the back of my mind asking "what's next". Many times Iook forward to what's next. Many times I just get scared. Do I consider myself depressed??? No. But I do know that I must deal with the symptoms. As they come or they may overwhelm me again.

What attributes to my sucess?? Friends, family, and faith! This disease runs in my family. My great grandfather commited suicide, my grandfather attempted it & my father spoke of it often when I was growing up. My mother has been on medication at extremely difficult times in her life. I have seen depression in myself, my sister and brother. It's not going away.

But, I have HOPE! I have FAITH. I have GOD. SO far medication hasn't been needed but if it comes to that I will carefully consider the pro's & con's. Weigh it out & pray for wisdom. Again, I don't consider myself depressed. But I know I deal with tendencies, I know my own personal pitfalls & limitations. I don't hestitate to ask for prayer. Or pick up the phone for help. Dang, I even share some of my junk with you. And for that I am thankful.

God has provided the tools I need to live a life for him. He has been so faithful, around every corner I know he is there. And around every corner it is him who makes a way. So I leave off with a verse I shared earlier....

Isaiah 45:3 "I will give you treasures of darkness, riches stored in secret places, so that you may know that I am the Lord, the God of Isreal who summons you by name."

And I have found it to be true. Having been through the darkness I am able to see others who struggle. I recognize much easier. Darkness isn't always so scary, if you know whom you trust.

Later in this same chapter it say this : " I call you by your name, I name you, though you do not know me. I equip you, though you do not know me. I form light and create darkness, I make well being and create calamity, I am the Lord, who does all these things.

That is from several verses, pieces that shot out at me. Reminding me that he knows & understands, he allows things to happen. For his own reasons. Even when we are far, he is near. When we are unaware, he has a plan. Not trying to babble but just say that good or bad, there is a reason. There is a way to make it through. And God already knows the outcome.

2 comments:

Nicole said...

i know it was hard for you to open up but I also know it was good for you. I love you and i'm always here for you! And I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that you are always there for me. Thanks Tiff!

dana said...

Thanks for sharing, I have felt and sometimes still feel those ways. I have started keeping a journal. I just don't have a group of friends to share with, it is hard to not have a physical person to talk to. Thanks for sharing. love ya