Tuesday, February 21, 2006

One down, one to go. (I think)

So here is my confession about not being the world's best mom. There are two things that Justus should have outgrown by now but I still let him have; a bottle & a passy. Part of me wants him to "get over it" and grow up. And of course then I want him to be my baby for as long as possible.

Personally I would rather Justus suck on a passy than his fingers/thumbs. That's probably because I sucked my thumb for forever, I think I was 10-12 before I stopped!!!! I definetly don't want my boy doing that!!!

Last night he was looking for his passy before bed. We couldn't find one anywhere! Then he found one- he is teething again and had bit a hole in it so it had no sucking power. He asked for a different one. Which we did not have. Keep looking. He found another with the same problem. Blah, blah.

Anyways I told him if he didn't want those nasty passies to throw them away. And he did!!!! He went to bed without it, to MOPS without it, all day without it! Each time he asks I remind him that he threw it awy. He repeats me & goes on to something else!!!! I have tried this approach before, finally with results!! So we will see how it goes & how long it lasts!!!!

Now if only I can figure out how to get rid of the bottle!!!! He hates sippy cups & only wants a regular cup which ain't gonna happen any time soon!!!!

2 comments:

dana said...

I know exactly how you feel on the passy thing (we called it a plug). Jesse was so attached to it. About 2 1/2 we started weaning him off it. We clipped just a little off the top of it, but he still wanted it so we did that every nite little by little till it was to the point he didn't want to suck on it anymore cuz it was broke, we threw it away and we have been free ever since. When Emma was still using one, we had a few incidents where he would steal it cuz he wanted it that bad, but we just took it from him and gave it back to her. They have these sippee cups with like bottle like sippers so it is kinda like a bottle. Emma went kinda from a bottle to a cup, she did sippee cups for a few months but she is so independent she wanted to be like Jesse. They make really little cups, we have a lot of them, Walmart sells little cups (that aren't sippee cups) they don't hold much so if they spill it isn't too much to clean up.

Nicole said...

Darcy sucks her thumb... jessica sucked hers too (stopped around 5 maybe?). Its cute at times but it leaves her thumb raw!

We use the Nubby sippy cups with Darcy... no bottle but the nipple is really soft. And they're cheap and easy to clean (no nasty valve).